One of my favorite song titles is “A New Way to Be Human.” As Christians, we often forget our new identity and new purpose. We have been given a message of hope to share with others. We didn’t write the message; instead, we simply deliver it and it is called the Gospel.
With this message, we are given three main purposes in life:
- To Glorify God.
- To Reflect His image to a lost and dying world.
- To Worship Him.
The Gospel tells us that we are all lost in our sins and spiritually dead in our transgressions. We need to be born again and when that happens through confession, repentance, and faith in Christ (Rom. 10:9), we become new creations (2 Cor. 5:17-21) with a new identity in Christ that tells us these 4 things:
- We are forgiven and cleansed from all of our filthy sins.
1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
- We are risen from the dead. At the Cross, Jesus achieved victory from death. Together, Christians can say victoriously: “Sin and death have no power over me anymore!” When Jesus said, “It is finished,” He referred to the completion of the Father’s will and the finishing work of forgiveness.
John 19:30 When Jesus had received the sour wine, he said, “It is finished,” and he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.
- We are new creations. Now that we’re saved, we live differently. It’s a new way to be human! We rejoice in the work of Jesus Christ in our hearts and praise Him!
2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.
- Finally, we are God’s messengers. After we get saved, we immediately receive the Holy Spirit’s indwelling inside us. And we are entrusted with a powerful message of hope to give the world. Unbelievers are stumbling in the darkness of the world, and we have the light of the Gospel to help guide them through. Time is running out before Christ returns to take us home. We want other people to go home to heaven with us too. Why not share the Good News with them now and be a messenger of Christ?
-Rachel and Mark Shaw (grateful to lose my identity of Self and to be found in Christ)