Tag: Biblical Counseling Coalition
BCC review of The Heart of Addiction
“What makes a resource on the topic of addiction worth reading? In short, a resource that is based in Scripture and balances truth with tools. Dr. Mark E. Shaw takes exactly this approach in his book The Heart of Addiction: A Biblical Perspective by writing to Christians and non-Christians in need of care and transformation from addiction.”
Back in the Fall of 2011, the Biblical Counseling Coalition wrote a review of Mark Shaw’s book The Heart of Addiction: A Biblical Perspective. The above quote is from that review, which gives a concise overview of the book and also states:
“The world’s approach is man-centric versus God’s approach which is Christ-centric. Shaw repeatedly brings the reader back to this understanding.”
Read the entire review from the Biblical Counseling Coalition’s website here.
~Mary (Mark’s wife for all of this life)
Dr. Shaw’s Recent Podcast with the Biblical Counseling Coalition
Dr. Mark E. Shaw had the opportunity to be interviewed by Curtis Solomon via the Biblical Counseling Coalition Podcast.Curtis and Mark had a fascinating video discussion of biblical counseling and addictions and covered a lot of ground in this 35 minute or so video:
- 3 basic heart issues in the struggle to overcome any sin in our lives (these are taught extensively in Understanding Temptation)
- What is meant by the term “worship disorder”
- What about the biological aspects of substance abuse?
- The great opportunity for local churches to get involved in reaching addicts for Christ
- Truth in Love Ministry’s training around the country, with potential local church partnerships
- The need for residential programs
- Some of the resources and programs Dr. Shaw personally recommends around the country
- And finally, a fun “2 Minute Favorites” in which some of Mark’s favorite earthly things are revealed:)
Please Watch and Share! The entire interview can be found on the BCC website here.
~Mary (Mark’s wife for all of this earthly life)