Here are some of the best resources that TAC recommends to you. This is not an online bookstore but a collection of our favorite resources that we have utilized and recommend as we care for souls in a biblical way.
Understanding Temptation: The War Within Your Heart - Mark Shaw
Dr. Shaw discusses Mark 4 and Luke 4 in light of the Genesis temptations that Adam and Eve faced. He explains how Jesus was tempted in the same three basic ways in which we are tempted:
To do what we want (Lust of the Flesh)
To have what we want (Lust of the Eyes)
To be who we want (Pride of Life)
The Heart of Addiciton Mark Shaw (book, workbook, and Leader’s Guide are available)
Some have said that this book is about more than just addiction. It’s about the Christian walk with Christ.
The Heart of Addiction contains 26 chapters of bible-saturated teaching that is structured along the format of 2 Timothy 3:16-17 – Teaching, Reproof, Correction, and Disciplined Training in Righteousness.
Some churches are utilizing each chapter in weekly teachings, assigning a chapter per week. Others are using it in bite sized sessions in the context of one-on-one disciple-making, which is Mark’s strong recommendation. The Heart of Addiction is being increasingly used by chaplains, pastors, volunteer lay persons, and even inmates who are called to lead and disciple other prisoners while serving their time in prison. The fact that “the hope of the Gospel for the heart of addiction” is being preached behind prison walls, where God is transforming one life at a time, is a reason for great rejoicing.
Call Focus Publishing at 1-800-913-6287 for bulk quantity discounts.
Relapse: Biblical Prevention Strategies Mark Shaw
Relapse is a workbook style assignment text that can be given to anyone who has struggled with returning to addictive sin choices.
Quote from the book: “… A relapse does NOT have to mean utter defeat. Getting knocked down in a boxing match is not defeat. We are defeated when we do not try to get up and get back in the fight… Even in relapse the Lord has a redemptive plan for you, meaning that He wants to bring good from the bad choice(s) you made. He wants to do that for you now.” -p.5
For various reasons, some biblical counselors have decided to start out the discipleship of addicts with this workbook instead of the Heart of Addiction text and workbook. First, it’s much shorter and more concise. Secondly, it specifically teaches some of the mentalities that often lure, or draw, a person back into sin that he or she has already repented of in the past. People find it to be a very helpful place to start.
A biblical proverb aptly describes relapse in this manner: “The dog returns to its own vomit, and the sow after washing herself, returns to wallow in the mire.” (2 Peter 2:22b)
Addiction-Proof Parenting: Biblical Prevention Strategies Mark Shaw
Addiction Proof Parenting, endorsed by Dr. Ted Tripp (author of Shepherding a Child’s Heart) and many others, is a powerfully practical and scripture-saturated book that will help parents direct their child’s focus from self to Christ. No one can predict if a child will grow up to be an “Addict” of some kind. No one has discovered an “addiction gene” and there is no compelling evidence linking addiction to a brain disease or disorder. A child becomes addicted by personal choices and is 100% responsible for the choices to abuse an addictive substance. However, parenting skills (or lack thereof) have a direct impact upon your children.
Find out how Addiction-Proof Parenting hinges upon changing your child’s thinking to be Christ-centered rather than self-centered.
Divine Intervention: Hope and Help for Families of Addicts Mark Shaw
With lots of positive reviews from the families of those struggling with an addiction, this practical, hopeful book from Mark Shaw can help turn your focus fully on God in the midst of the heartbreak of your loved one’s addiction. Mark discussed some of the tenets of this resource in a 2 part post on the Biblical Counseling Coalition, and then discusses the sample intervention letter. He says, “When you stop and think about it, God intervened in our lives to lead us to repentance and faith in Christ. The foundational principle of a biblical intervention is the same: a call to repentance and faith in Christ. Assisting to prepare the family for an intervention includes helping them prepare their heart attitudes and goals to be a loving call to trust Christ.”
Cross Talking: A Daily Gospel for Transforming Addict Mark Shaw
CrossTalking is a 45-day devotional that is often being gifted to participants in residential programs around the country. Some program directors opt to delay providing this resource until faithfulness in the program has been demonstrated, while others simply provide “program copies” in every room. Very bite-size daily Bible teachings are found in these pages with stories sprinkled in as well. At 45 days, this devotional can be repeated twice in the typical 90-day program format. We’ve received feedback that the daily reinforcement and encouragement in this little devotional can be life-changing, and for that we rejoice and give God all the glory. It is His Holy Spirit’s power and the truth of the Word of God that truly transforms lives.
Hope and Help Book Series Mark Shaw
- Hope and Help for Gambling
- Hope and Help for Self-Injurers and “Cutters”
- Hope and Help for Sexual Tempation
- Hope and Help for TV, Video Game, and Internet “Addiction”
While certainly not a comprehensive addressing of the subjects, these short booklets are full of practical directives and biblical teachings. The Hope and Help series of booklets are intended to serve as launching points for biblical counseling and disciple-making relationships. Use them in the context of formal biblical counseling ministry in your local church or as a helpful tool in discussing difficult topics with trusted Christian friends. Bulk discounts are always available at Focus Publishing by calling 1-800-913-6287.
Pursuit of Perfection: A Biblical Perspective Mark Shaw & Bill Hines
How NOT to Raise an Addict Mark Shaw
Don’t let the title mislead you; Dr. Shaw is not giving you a formula for parenting. This booklet is excerpted from the larger work Addiction Proof Parenting and outlines the 5 mentalities that parents (unknowingly sometimes) instill in their children. Mark extensively writes about why he wrote this booklet on the BCC website here. In that post he explains “Obviously, parents are not in control of their children’s hearts or their children’s decisions to follow Christ, but they can learn parenting skills that instill a humble, Christ-like mindset rather than an addicted one.” -Dr. Mark Shaw, BCC blog 9/15/2017
- Finally Free by Heath Lambert Watch an interview clip of Dr. Lambert about pornography here.
- Gospel Treason: Betraying the Gospel with Hidden Idols by Brad Bigney More resources from Pastor Brad Bigney can be found at his site bradbigney.wordpress.com
- A Biblical Guide to Counseling the Sexual Addict by Steve Gallagher
- A Biblical Understanding of Self-Injury by Julie Ganschow Find out more about Reigning Grace Counseling Center’s training and free downloadable resources here.
- A Call to Discipleship by Susan Heck
- At the Altar of Sexual Idolatry by Steve Gallagher
- Curing the Heart: A Model for Biblical Counselors by Hines and Eyrich
- Eating Disorders: Hope for Hungering Souls by Shaw, Rachel Bailey, and Bethany Spence
- From Pride to Humility by Stuart Scott Find more downloadable resources from Dr. Stuart Scott’s One Eighty Counseling and Education site here.
- Idols of the Heart by Elyse Fitzpatrick Find out more about Elyse Fitzpatrick’s resources at her website here.
- Just Like Jesus: Biblical Strategies for Growing Well by Phil Moser (free downloadable resources)
- Killing Sin Habits by Stuart Scott
- Leaving Yesterday Behind by Bill Hines
- Living Beyond the Heart of Betrayal: Biblically Addressing the Pain of Sexual Sin by Julie Ganschow
- Redeemed From the Pit: Biblical Repentance And Restoration From The Bondage of Eating Disorders by Marie Notcheva
- The Dangerous Duty of Delight: Daring to Make God Your Greatest Desire by John Piper
- The Process of Biblical Change by Julie Ganschow
- The Useful Lie by William Playfair
- Worldliness: Resisting the Seduction of a Fallen World by CJ Mahaney, John Piper, Dave Harvey, Bob Kauflin, Jeff Purswell, and Craig Cabaniss
- Changed into His Image by Jim Berg
- Welcome to Freedom That Lasts® by Jim Berg
- Addictions: A Banquet in the Grave by Edward Welch – book
- Addictions: A Banquet in the Grave by Ed Welch audio teaching from IBCD
- Just One More by Ed Welch
- The Fight of Your Life: A unique 3-part discipleship study for young men ages 13+ by Cates and Liljenberg with Shaw and Hines
WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE ADDED?
Interested in being added to the TAC Published Resources page?
We would appreciate an opportunity to get to know you. Please introduce yourself to us by sending an
email to [email protected]